Fatima from Sweden sent this unusual Seamaster chronograph with a nice panda dial in. It’s not running properly, and some attention is needed…
On first sight, all is looking well (I have already removed the case screws).
The movement taken out of the case.
Hands and dial removed.
Not the best performance, so a service won’t go amiss.
The thread for the blocking lever must have gotten damaged at one point, and it’s been re-bushed, and the thread re-cut. Not a bad job, so nothing to do here.
But the blocking lever screw used doesn’t work. Somebody used a screw that doesn’t belong here, and added a ring to make it fit. As the screw is still available, I don’t quite get what that is good for, especially as the thread repair had been carried out quite well.
The big screw holding the setting lever in place is also missing.
The balance staff is worn, and needs replacing. I remove the old staff with my lovely Platax tool.
The balance taken apart.
Now the new balance staff is riveted in, and I can put the balance back together.
The complete balance with the old staff on the side.
The fourth wheel is slightly bent, and rusted. As a new one is still available, I order one in.
The gear train in place.
Just put back together, and looking quite nice.
Now I can start putting the chronograph bits in.
The banking key, which is used to adjust the depthing of the central chronograph runner, is broken, so adjustment isn’t possible any more. I replace it, and adjust the depthing.
Now I can put the bottom plate back together.
And the movement is ready for the dial and hands.
The pushers get new gaskets.
The movement cased with a new case back gasket.
A lovely Seamaster Chronograph in good condition, and back to a new life!