The crystal is a bit scratched and tired as well, and could do with replacing.
With a bit of luck, a service will sort this out.
The timegrapher confirms that this watch is not well – it can’t even capture the amplitude and beat error.
There is no gasket, but the movement isn’t too dirty.
I start off with the bottom plate.
Lots of springs that want to jump out!
Finally, the bottom plate is cleared and I can turn the movement around.
Auto winder removed.
You can see that the hairspring is deformed, which doesn’t help. Got to sort that out!
That looks better.
The movement taken apart and ready for the cleaning machine.
Now I turn my attention to the case, which does need a bit of cleaning 😉
Case cleaned, new crystal pressed in, bezel back in place. Very happy with the look of that!
With a new mainspring, I put the movement back together.
Then it’s time for the bottom plate.
The bottom plate on this watch is quite fiddly to put together – lots of springs that don’t want to stay in place.
The lovely dial goes back on, and I press the hands on.
I case the movement and put the auto winder back on.
Then I adjust the beat error and beat rate – looking good!
With the new crystal and a bit of polishing of the hands, we are back to former glory.
Lovely watch with a lovely dial!