Anders has sent in this beast of chronographs. Minute recorder, hour recorder, day, date, month and moon face all packed into a 34.5mm 18K case. Seven hands in total or in this case 6 and a half. Plenty of warning signs as the date and month disks are seized and the reset pusher does not move.
First impression of the movement is positive, but it’s the dial side I’m worried about.Here is a close up of the central chronograph second hand.The long second hand tube is already a challenge, as they are next to impossible to get a hold of.I like the UG logo in the case back.I hold my breath removing the hands, as I don’t want to damaged the dial.Ouch! No wonder the reset lever does not move.A little close up of the rust damage.I start dismantling the movement.The rust is very local and everything else is looking very good.The triple date plate removed revealing the setting mechanism.I turn the movement around and start taking the chronograph apart.There is plenty of dirt all over the place.I take apart the non-shock protected balance cock.Almost down to the base movement.I turn the movement around again and remove the intermediate hour recorder wheel. This is important before taking the train bridge off as it is screwed into the train bridge. I’m now able to separate the base movement.The quick set pushers for date, moon-face and month.I get a pleasant surprise when the hour reset lever screw unscrews without a fight.The movement is so dirty that the gear train is glued into the jewels.Old mainspring.All the parts cleaned and I use several boxes to have any chance of getting the parts back in the correct order.No way we can use the old hour recorder or the plate for the triple date mechanism.Anders does not shy away from a challenge and after a lot of effort is able to source the correct parts and I build up my confidence to start putting this beast back together.I start by putting together the balance and seeing that it moves freely.I replace the old mainspring with a new one.I put the crown wheel back in place on the underside of the train bridge.Here the gear train is ready for the train bridge.Gear train back in place and moving freely as it should.I now put the setting mechanism back in place.I wind the movement fully and as soon as the balance goes back into place it springs to life.So far I’m happy with the performance.Some of the new parts are from the newer calibre 481 and this setting lever spring needs a pin removed so that the date mechanism plate can fit.I can now proceed putting the watch together.I start by putting the hour recorder together.The new reset lever for the hour recorder moves freely.The movement is being put together one spring at a time.The hour recorder wheel is held down with a funky spring.The case has two slots so that the dial screws can be accessed while the movement is in the case. This makes it possible to test the quick set for date and moon phase and change the month.The dial side is put together, and everything seems to work, as it should.I turn the movement around and fix the case to the movement holder so I can start putting the chronograph back together.The parts are coming together one after another.Finely I have a working chronograph.Amazing how many parts one can fit in to a 34.5mm case.Dial back in place.For the central chronograph second hand I remove the tube from the rusted hand and solder it on to a new hand.All the hands are in place and resetting, as they should!I must say this is a beautifully constructed movement; with the exception of the setting lever spring every spring is properly machined out of steel.