This sorry looking Speedmaster came from Belgium, and Eric sent it in. He didn’t have much hope for it, as he already had it with a local watchmaker in Belgium, who said he couldn’t repair it due to lack of parts.
Everything is there at least… The blocking lever has a broken spring, and the hairspring doesn’t look quite right. Lots of scratches everywhere – you can see that people have tried without success to get this watch running again.
After a lot of head scratching about how to remove the broken off winding stem from the plate, I decide to ask my colleague and friend Al from archerwatches.ca if he has a trick up his sleeve – and he does! Alum (Potassium Aluminium Sulphate) is the secret. The stuff completely dissolves normal steel, but doesn’t do anything to the plate. 24 hours later …
I put the balance in to see what the odd staff / glued roller does, and as expected, it’s fine in one position, but the amplitude completely drops off dial up.
I actually ordered a new Star staking set last week, which I hope will arrive next week from Germany. The Pearl staking set is fine, but I want the Star, as you can use the stakes as anvils as well.
The bottom plate is back together.
And the chronograph is complete, adjusted and happily working.
Ready for the dial and hands.
The replacement hands that I bought are too small, so I repaint and re-lume the original ones.
The new dial and the new sub-dial hands.
The old hands are painted and ready for new luminous compound.
The case cleaned and with the new pushers.
I case the movement, and put in a new gasket with silicone grease.
The dust cover was also missing, but I managed to find a new one.
Looking great again. As I finish the watch off, “Ca plane pour moi” is on the radio, and that’s of course very fitting for what I’m doing and for the fact that the watch was sent in from Belgium!