Simon sent me this one, and the winding stem comes straight out when I unpack it.
A fair amount of scratches on the plates. They look pretty random, and I wonder how that happened. Nothing serious, though.
No wonder the winding stem comes straight out. The set lever is broken off, and the set lever spring is bent. Looks like someone really really wanted to get that winding stem back in…. The copper plating is coming of the bottom plate, but again, that’s no big deal.
That does not look healty… Hopefully, a good clean and a new mainspring will sort that out.
Time to take the movement apart.
All looking good – no more surprises here.
You can’t get the exact size mainspring any more, but I’m using a 1.10 x .10 x 300 x 9.5, and that works well.
The movement is coming together nicely, and it’s ticking already.
Now that looks so much better than before!
Oddly enough, the new winding stem is a bit too thick where the winding pinion sits. Not a problem – that’s what a lathe is for.
The new set lever, set lever spring and winding stem back in place.
Dial and hands go back on – in very good condition considering the age of the watch.
With the movement back in the case, I put together the auto-winder with the hammer.
I managed to get hold of the exact original crown for the case.
That does look nice!