Daniel sent this one in, and said that “the watch was dropped in water and the movement has rusted”. Not what I really want to hear 😉
But not only is the movement rusted – somebody had broken off screws, and taken out parts and screws.
This watch will need some serious work and lots of spare parts…One day, I will learn not to accept watches like this one for repair 😉
The dial and hands are in good condition.
And the bottom plate doesn’t look too bad, but there might be more surprises below.
So far, so good.
Some corrosion here as well.
More corrosion …
… oh dear …
The date quick-set mechanism has seen better days.
And so has the reset pusher.
The setting lever spring is rusted off.
And here comes the real damage – not much of this is reusable.
We manage to find an incomplete and taken apart parts movement on eBay.
The original movement in the two tubs on the left, and the parts movement in the two tubs on the right.
I start off with a new mainspring which I put into the donor barrel.
The gear train on the main plate.
The winding mechanism needs some serious attention.
After some acid treatment, I have at least some bits that I can re-use.
The first batch of new parts arrived – but we will need quite a bit more than that.
I can now put the base movement back together to see how that’s performing before going any further.
The wheel train is in.
Good to have an extra set of parts to chose from!
The winding and setting gears go in.
That’s not bad at all.
Now I can start on the chronograph layer.
Again, lots of new parts are needed.
You can see the new friction spring for the chronograph runner in the middle with the green anti-friction coating on the tines.
I put the auto winder differential and reverser wheel in, but I can’t wind the watch freely. There is too much resistance.
The culprits are the differential …
… and the reverser wheel.
I order them new, but the satellite wheel of the new differential is rusted onto the plate, so it doesn’t move at all! I make a return for the part, and get a new one back that works.
Here is the differential with the satellite wheel visible.
Finally, automatic and manual winding works.
Now it’s time for the minute recorder on the bottom plate.
This movement has a vertical clutch for the minute recorder.
The quick-set mechanism with new and cleaned-up old parts.
The clutch is in place.
And the bottom plate is finished.
The dial and hands go on, but I notice some white paint missing from the minute hand.
So it’s back to the hand clinic.
The pushers are removed from the case.
The hands looking a lot better now, too.
Clean pushers ready to go back into the case.
Ready for the movement.
The movement before casing.
Look at all the empty parts containers …
The movement is cased.
And the rotor goes on.
I notice that the minute hand resets together with the minute recorder, so the clutch doesn’t separate well enough. I swap it over with the one from the parts movement.
Now all is well, and the bezel ring and crystal can go on.
That looks very nice indeed.
Just a new case back gasket to go, and we are done.
The case back is on, and an epic job is done.
So, in total, we used a parts movement for £270, and the following parts:
click 320-1104 £20
crown wheel 1040-1101 £52
reduction gear 1040-1432 £35
driving gear for ratchet wheel 1040-1437 £35
blocking lever spring 860-1733 £12
stem bolt for second hammer 1040-1759 £17
setting wheel 1040-1152 £11
winding stem £11
blocking lever 860-1726 + blocking lever yoke 860-1818 together £50 on eBay
spring for bolt-stem for second hammer £21 on eBay
friction spring for chrono runner 1040-1735 £28
wig-wag setting wheel spring £12
differential 1040-1475 £69
reverser wheel 1040-1464 £103
setting lever 1040-1109 £35
screw 2357 £8
screw 2480 £8
case back gasket £13
Not a cheap job, as my labour comes on top of that, but still well worthwhile for this watch.