When I take the hands off, I notice that the hour hand is too close to the dial. That does not bode well – it’s a sign of sticky gunk on the back of the dial…
The dial doesn’t want to come off, and I don’t want to force it. So I put the movement on a soft polishing cloth and start taking it apart.
I finally get my courage up and carefully take the dial off. Yep, dial pads indeed. I think there should be a law against them, with public flogging as the punishment for using them. What I don’t get is that the dial feet are both there and intact, but the two screws holding the feet are missing.
Balance jewels removed, and the escape wheel jewel cap taken out. I’ve removed the dial pads and their sticky gunk from the plate.
After having cleaned all the parts, I start reassembly.
The balance jewels go back in.
With a tap, I test the thread size of the missing dial screws. The 0.8mm tap fits.
I have the right screws, but they have heads, so I put them in the lathe and take the heads off.
The finished screw – just needs some cleaning.
The new dial screw where it belongs.
Now I start putting the movement back together.
Not too shabby for a first adjustment before casing.
I remove the glue from the dial.
I case the movement.
Back to its former glory, with the hands now sitting correctly as the dial isn’t too high any more.
What a beauty!