Paul sent his Seamaster over from the US to get it serviced, as it isn’t keeping good time at all…
Paul also sent me a new second hand, as the red on the tip is faded. And he wants another link put in his titanium bracelet, and the bracelet put on instead of the leather strap.
This doesn’t look good at all, and something is wrong here…
Time to take the movement apart.
The wheel train has a single cock with three jewels that holds the third, fourth and escape wheel.
And into the cleaning machine …
I start off with the usual new mainspring.
Very strange scratches on the barrel lid.
Having put together the base movement, I notice what’s wrong. The hairspring has slid out of the regulator boot. I take the balance off again and put the hairspring into its proper position.
I also see some odd scratches on the balance, and that, together with the displaced hairspring, doesn’t make me feel to comfortable about this movement. Something has happened somewhere…
In one position and with lots of waiting, I get up to 250 degrees, but when I change position, the balance takes ages to recover, and never gets up to full amplitude. For me, that’s a sign of a balance that isn’t poised – probably through the damage inflicted on it.
I don’t want to test my theory using a £100 original Omega balance. If I’m wrong, I’ve burned the money for nothing. So I order in the (identical) ETA balance for £28.
Bingo! I now have positional stability, and a decent amplitude. £28 well invested.
I put the bottom plate back together.
When casing, I leave the automatic winder off the movement, which I put on after casing.
Now the auto winder is on, and a new case back gasket in place.
More odd scratches – I wonder how you can manage to scratch the inside of a case back!
Time for waterproof testing, and all is well.
Back together with the new second hand with a nice red tip.