My streak of Omegas continues, and this one is Mark’s. The crown and winding stem came off and are lost, and the watch needs a service and a new crystal. If you wonder why you can see a gasket in the back, the mystery will be revealed in the next photo …
The winder has started munching the gasket! It was way too small, and never properly sat between the back and the case. In the first photo, I had already removed the back, so that’s why the gasket is sticking out in the background.
There is a fair amount of dirt.
Not the cleanest of movements.
All the parts in the baskets.
Another one of the NOS mainsprings I got from Australia – only 2 left now!
I put the jewels back in, having oiled the cap jewel.
I have a beat error of slightly over 3ms, so that needs correcting. On this type of movement, there is no regulator for the beat error, so you have to take the balance out, and slightly turn the collet. This can take 4 or 5 attempts, but I’m lucky today, and I hit 0.0ms in the first go!
My lucky day – and a great performance from the movement.
The new original Omega crown and winding stem.
The pin that holds the movement in the case is missing, and I turn up a new one.
The bottom plate looks nice and clean again. The plating has come off in some places, but that’s absolutely normal for an Omega that age.
With a new crystal, it’s looking great again.