This Speedy comes all the way from California, and David has sent it in for a service.
The luminous compound of the hands has darkened considerably over time, and doesn’t match the dial markers any more. Also, when engaging the chronograph, the second hand jumps sometimes.
The amplitude is a bit low, so a service is in order.
I love dust covers – they tend to have cleaner movements under them.
The 861 in all its glory. The movement is in good condition.
The hands need some new luminous compound.
And some of the paint has come off as well.
The pushers need a good clean.
The bottom plate – looking very good as well.
Time to take the movement apart.
With the bridge for the central runner and for the minute recorder removed, you can see a bit more detail.
The wheel train.
I will put in a new mainspring.
Time to take the bottom plate with the hour recorder apart.
Only the keyless works are left.
And it’s all apart.
The new mainspring has arrived.
In order to put the barrel in, the hour recorder and its plate have to be in place.
A view from above onto the hour recorder and its hammer.
Just put together – looking good.
Now I can start on the chronograph.
The bottom plate is complete.
And so is the chronograph.
Now I will have a look at the hands.
The pushers go back in with some silicone grease – the gaskets are still ok.
The new crystal.
And pressed into the case.
In order to re-paint the hands, I have to take off the old paint with paint stripper first.
Now I have clean hands that I can paint.
And here are the painted hands.
I am trying to hit the colour tone of the dial markers with the new lume, and mix some yellow and white lume together, and spice that up with a bit of tea paint. We make our own brown-ish paint from dried tea 😉
I’d say that’s pretty much spot on.
Now I can case the movement.
A final adjustment.
And I can put the case back on.
When I put the movement in, I notice that the tachymetre ring doesn’t quite align, so I take it off and put it back on.