There is a fair amount of dirt in here, and that’s good enough of a reason for the watch not to work.
This is the calibre 2481, with the first incarnation of the quick-set date which requires pushing the crown in. The quick-set mechanism was modified in subsequent versions, and doesn’t work that well on the 2481.
There is dirt throughout, and it’s probably been some time since this movement has seen a service.
No rust or obvious damage. I’ve removed the balance jewels, and work my way through the bottom plate.
After all the parts have gone through the watch cleaner, I reassemble the movement again.
Top plate done, and the balance is swinging.
Only half wound, this is looking very good!
Starting on the bottom plate, I notice that a leaf of the cannon pinion is missing. Time to order a new one …
Now I can reassemble the bottom plate.
Bottom plate complete bar the hour wheel.
The movement goes back into the case.
The case back gets a new gasket.
With new case screws (the old ones were missing), I put in the auto-winder assembly and close the case.
Final check on the timegrapher – I’m happy with that!