The dial particularly worries me – not sure if I can get it off from there …
The stuff is everywhere.
Before taking the movement out, I try to clean off as much of the sealant as I can, using a swab of kitchen towel with methylated spirit.
Having lifted out the movement, you can see how much of the stuff is everywhere.
Now I clean off the back of the dial.
Phew – that was lucky. I managed to clean the dial without damaging it.
Not so lucky with the date ring – the numbers come off with the sealant. But, I manage to find a new one, so not a problem.
The 2562PC movement beats at 28,800.
I take the movement apart and clean everything.
With a new mainspring, I put the movement back together.
Bottom plate with new date ring.
With the mainspring lightly wound, this is looking very good.
Ready for casing.
The date doesn’t quite align with the dial opening, and that is due to the new date ring. I don’t really want to modify the pawl, as that is a bit too final and non-reversible. I will check with my client and see what he wants me to do.
We decided to give the pawl a shot – here is the slightly shortened pawl. I have taken some material off the left side of it.
Not perfect, but better. There are limits to how much I can take off the pawl without impairing the function of the date change mechanism.