Mitka and I were keeping an eye on our internal job numbers, as job #1000 was getting closer and closer… We wanted to mark the occasion somehow, and decided to carry out the work on the watch in question free of charge, and throw in the parts and shipping as well.
So, when the postman brought in a new batch of watches on the 21st of October, we took them in the order we got them handed over, and Gerry was the lucky winner.
Looks like our efforts won’t be wasted – the amplitude is so low that the timegrapher can’t pick up a signal.
The dial is a bit damaged, and the luminous compound of the hands has come off in places. The watch looks a bit tired, but we can help there …
The movement is discoloured, but a good clean in the cleaning machine should take care of that.
The dial damage is well visible in this photo. The old varnish has come off in places.
The bottom plate has the same discolouration.
Time to take apart the movement.
The gear train is visible once the wheel bridge is removed.
Now the barrel bridge has to come off.
The old mainspring will be replaced, too.
The old varnish is removed from the dial.
Coming out of the cleaning machine, the plate looks a lot nicer.
The gear train in place.
And the bottom plate is coming back together.
We have a nice looking timegrapher image, and the amplitude will increase a bit over the next couple of hours to roughly 270 degrees.
The cleaned and re-varnished dial.
The hands go back on.
The case gets a new crystal.
The movement is cased.
And the watch is back together.Looking very nice indeed!