The dial has no more feet, and the broken feet are stuck in the dial ring – together with some glue. So someone has attempted a repair before me, and glued the dial and feet to the dial ring. That obviously didn’t last, and never really works. You either need a new dial or you have to solder new feet to it. Nick actually pointed me to a dial soldering machine that he saw on YouTube, and I found one on eBay UK that I ordered.
The movement also needs a service, and I take it apart.
The parts go into the cleaning machine.
I start reassembly with a new mainspring.
Lovely and clean – and beating!
I adjust the movement, and I get a super straight line and very little positional variation. The 1020 is a great performer.
Time for some soldering. I use Bergeon feet that you can buy in a mixed pack – these feet are only 0.65mm thin, and normal copper wire is very hard to solder at that thickness. The Bergeon feet have a wider foot at the bottom, which provides a larger surface for the solder, and that gives a better joint.
With a non-spinning dial, a lovely Seamaster is back in service.