This Seamaster has quite a bit of dial damage, but Adam wants to leave it as it is, and I’m with him. As I always say, you can’t un-restore a dial…
Ouch – that doesn’t look too good. The balance is hardly swinging.
First look at the movement.
The dial is glued on with dial pads, as the dial feet are broken off. Normally, I solder on new feet, but in this case, the dial is too fragile and would show damage if I tried that.
Both screws holding the date plate aren’t original, and I will change them for original Omega ones.
The wheel bridge is missing a screw.
Time to take the movement apart.
Looks like it’s growing hair under the click wheel 😉
The mainspring is also quite dirty with caked-up grease.
Taking apart the bottom plate.
Everything ready for the cleaning machine.
Epilame treatment for the escape wheel, pallet fork and cap jewels.
The new parts (original Omega mainspring, generic crystal and generic case back gasket) have arrived, and I can put the movement back together.
The new mainspring goes into the barrel.
The gear train and pallet fork back in place.
The movement is ticking again.
That looks a lot better than before.
The bottom plate comes back together.
The date cover now has original Omega screws.
And the date ring is back in place.
And the missing screw on the wheel bridge is replaced as well.
Back in the case with a new gasket.I polish the markers and hands as well as I can, but I have to be careful not to break the lume off the hands.
At a later date, the dial can always be restored, and new dial feet soldered on. But for the moment, the watch is back in good shape, and original.